Zoning & Property Maintenance

Additions, Remodeling, General Home improvements

The Zoning Office should be contacted prior to the start of any work.

The proper applications and inspections must be completed for all improvements done to your property including but not limited to decks, pools, fence, shed, additions, etc.

Commercial applications may require review by the Hamburg Land Use Board. If needed, a copy of approved zoning permits will be forwarded to the Building Department. Originals may be picked up or mailed to the property owner. Office hours are Tuesdays , 8 AM to 1 PM. but applications may be mailed or brought to the Hamburg Borough Hall during open hours. If an application must be completed please allow ten (10) business days for your completed application to be approved or denied. An approved Zoning Permit will be forwarded to the Building Department for review. Allow twenty (20) business days from the date of the approved zoning permit for the building permit to be processed.

Office Hours: Tuesdays, 8 AM – 3PM

Joseph Drossel
Zoning & Property Maintenance Officer
Ph: 973-209-4545
Fax: 973-827-0466


Mailing Address:
Hamburg Municipal Building 
16 Wallkill Ave.
Hamburg, NJ  07419

Physical Address:
Hamburg Municipal Annex
11 Orchard Street

Residential Pool Requirements – Please read the following important information regarding the installation of residential swimming pools (including the temporary small sold at retailers throughout our area). We understand that as summer approaches and households are looking for ways to enjoy the summer and provide recreational opportunities during the current public health emergency and “stay at home” order they may be considering the installation of a pool; however please note that all state and local zoning and construction regulations still apply.

As a guideline for residential pools that require permits, please see the following:

  1. Zoning permits are required for seasonal as well as permanently installed pools.
  2. Any pool capable of holding 24″ of water requires a permit under the UCC (Uniform Construction Code)
  3. Any pool with less than 48″ high sidewalls require some other type of compliant barrier; fence, self-closing, latching gates and ladders etc.
  4. Electrical requirements for temporary and permanent pools must be strictly adhered to. Permit required

The applicable codes are found at https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/document/1536, which include the International Swimming Pool Code and International Residential Code.

For any further information or guidance please call Hardyston Construction Dept. (973) 823-7020 x9001